"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt."
PARTICIPATE IN RAPID CITY
We welcome all participants in the Black Hills region! We hold practices in the Rapid City area and participate in regional, state and national competitions sponsored by Special Olympics. The practices and competitions are focused on learning about sports, learning new skills and improving overall general fitness. Benefits include meeting new friends, having fun and learning skills that can last a lifetime!
Participate all year round!
Swimming | Soccer | Track & Field | Powerlifting
Softball | T-Ball | Golf | Summer Bowling | Strider
Basketball Skills | Basketball Teams | Alpine Skiing | Snowshoeing
It is very simple to start participating in Special Olympics. Each athlete must have a completed physical prior to participation. Please print this form and have it completed by your physician: Athlete Physical.
(Be sure that the physician checks either the 1-year, 2-year, or 3-year box above the signature; if no box is checked, the physical is valid for one year.)
Bring the completed form to any practice or mail it to:
Special Olympics, PO Box 9780, Rapid City, SD 57709
Just turn in your physical form, come to a practice, and you are signed up!
- I will practice good sportsmanship.
- I will act in ways that bring respect to me, my coaches, my team and Special Olympics.
- I will not use bad language.
- I will now swear or insult other persons.
- I will not fight with other athletes, coaches, volunteers or staff.
Training and Competition
- I will train regularly.
- I will learn and follow the rules of my sport.
- I will listen to my coaches and the officials and ask questions when I do not understand.
- I will always try my best during training, divisioning and competitions.
- I will not "hold back" in preliminaries just to get into an easier final heat.
Responsibility for My Actions
- I will not make inappropriate or unwanted physical, verbal or sexual advances on others.
- I will not drink alcohol, smoke or take illegal drugs while representing Special Olympics at training sessions, competition or during Games.
- I will not take drugs for the purpose of improving my performance.
- I will obey all laws and Special Olympics rules.
I understand that if I do not obey this Code of Conduct my Program or Games Organizing Committee may not allow me to participate.
There are other programs in the Black Hills which may be of interest (e.g., Equestrian with Suncatchers) or may be more convenient for you (e.g., Southern or Northern Hills).